Skip to Content

Tax Forms

At tax return time, you will have a choice of several types of tax return forms.

If you work for someone else, you will receive a “W2” form at the end of the year which shows how much money you made, how much was paid to the various taxing authorities and how much you kept. There will be several copies, one for each taxing authority and one you can keep. You will use the information on the W2 form to fill out your income tax forms.

If you work for someone else and don’t have a lot of deductions, you might be able to do your own taxes with one of the simple forms. If not, you’ll need to hire a professional tax return preparer or an accountant, or use tax preparation software.

Both federal (IRS) and state tax departments have offices where you can receive free assistance and information, as well as convenient telephone lines and information-filled web sites. They want to make it as easy as possible for you to pay your taxes. They need the money. Community organizations and your public library often also provide tax form assistance.

Next Section:Avoidance and Evasion

Personal Finance: Chapter Home

Life in the USA Home Page.