Stocks, bonds and mutual funds are the most popular securities investments, but many more exist, usually in specialty market areas. These include:
- Currency trading (or speculating).
- Precious metals.
- Venture capital arrangements.
- Private equity offerings (stock purchases not offered on the general trading market).
- Private debt offerings.
- Intellectual and digital property.
- Hedge funds.
- International investments.
These asset classes fit best with the profiles of sophisticated investors. In many cases, they involve long-term projects and multi-year financial planning.
A number of firms specialize in offering and managing these non-traditional investment vehicles.
Next Section:Retirement Accounts
Personal Finance: Chapter Home
Life in the USA Home Page.