Graduate and Professional Schools, from Life in the USA: The Complete Guide for Immigrants and Americans

Life in the USA is a complete guide to American life for immigrants and Americans. All materials on this site Copyright © Elliot Essman 2014. All rights reserved.    Home    Back    next

Beautiful American Landscape Paintings By Elliot Essman

Life in the USA
Education in America
Colleges and Universities

Graduate and Professional Schools
Most graduate and professional schools are affiliated with the major universities. The term “graduate school” refers to advanced study in academic areas leading to a “masters” degree (M.A. or M.S.) and perhaps later to a “Doctor's” degree (a Ph.D. or Doctorate). Most college professors of any stature have doctorates. In addition to coursework in their specialty, doctoral candidates have to write an extensive research thesis. Ph.D.'s are called “Dr.” instead of “Mr. or Ms.”

Law school study runs for three years and ends with the degree of Juris Doctor (J.D.) or Bachelor of Laws (L.L.B.). A lawyer takes a state bar examination and is then allowed to practice law in the state.

Medical school takes four years, followed by a four year internship and residence requirement. Many doctors then take examinations in specialized areas in which they become “board certified” by the governing board of their particular state.

Graduate business schools offer the highly regarded Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree. Unlike law and medicine, there is no post-degree certification or licensing process for businesspeople.

Other professional schools exist in fields like engineering, architecture, dentistry, veterinary (animal) medicine, and accounting.

Next Section: Applying to College

Education in America: Chapter Home

Life in the USA Home Page.

The URL of this site is:

Building Yourself - Stylegourmet - Linguix
Smokefreekids - Susie Essman

Top of this Page